Thursday, December 13, 2007

Saving Money: Little Things Big Savings

Well, I have been blogging for almost a month now. I must say its been an educational experience for me. I've always been interested in saving money. As we say sometimes, "it's the way i was raised". I just really hope I've mentioned something here that can help you save money and be a little gentler with our planets resources. Some days i will post more than others. And some posts may not be as interesting to you as others. But i would really love to establish a group of daily readers. I welcome your ideas, even if they don't agree with mine. There is always something new we can all learn about saving money and saving our world. I do have a habit of paying attention to the little things: how to get the last little ooze of toothpaste out of the tube for instance. (Cut the tube with scissors in as many sections as you need to, then work your brush around in there till you get it all out.) Now i know you're thinking this is trivial, but the point I'm making is...you paid for this toothpaste, its yours. Are you going to just throw it away? If over the course of 5 years you save a tube of toothpaste? Whats toothpaste cost these days? $3.50 a tube? Maybe more maybe less depending on where you are. And $3.50 every 5 years isn't a lot ill admit.. $.70 a year. Ok, but what if you live to be 80 or more?

Well maybe you'll not brush your teeth the first two years and wear false teeth the last 8. so that's 70. Time to get the calculator out now. Seventy years times $.70 cents. Ok that's $49.00. Would you take out your checkbook and write a check to the already-rich toothpaste companies for $49.00?????? See the point I'm getting at. And there are other things too, not just toothpaste. The thing I'm trying to get you to do and get in a better habit of doing myself is actually thinking about the little things we do every day that cause waste in our world and keep us from saving money. Ok enough for now. I'll be back later. If Ive made one person think about their personal saving habits, not just of money but of all the worlds resources, I'm happy. So until next time...Happy Savings!!!

No comments: