Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

Coming in 2008 this blog will move more to a blog/diary on saving money. I hope to include more of my personal saving experiences and keep a running savings amount for the month of January and then on for the year. There will still be stories and posts on how to save money, but more from a personal point of view. I hope this new format will help readers get into the habit of thinking of their own money saving opportunities and experiences. I will share my stories of saving money with coupons. Of things I and my family do to try to help the environment, and yes..the failures along the way which hopefully will give you a chuckle. We are all human, and all in this together. The alternative is to live wastefully. Living a frugal lifestyle always has a two fold theme, saving money, saving the world. And for the most part when you try to do one, you usually wind up doing something to help the other also. As when we cut off lights when leaving a room we save money on our light bill and also help to save energy. I know this is a simplistic approach, but most of this is just common sense. So in the coming weeks i hope that some comments will start coming in..some sharing of your ideas. Even your questions. There is never a dumb question, although some I've ask before seem to be very borderline on looking back on them.
My point being, talk to me..lets share our ideas on saving money and saving our planet. Hopefully we can, together save some money and make this planet a better place to live.
New Year's Resolutions
1. Save more money. My wife and I are frugal to begin with but always looking for ways to save money. I will try to keep a running tab of how much money we save at the grocery store, shopping for clothes, cutting utility bills(will compare to last years bill the same month) and other areas such as insurances, repair bills and other areas where we can draw realistic comparisons.

2. Get more sleep. We have gotten into the habit of staying up late..too late. I will let you know how this works for us.
3. Use less utilities, specifically electricity and water. No we aren't going to stop bathing nor are we going to sit in the dark. But we are always looking for ways to save more.
4. To use compost in our plantings ...flowers lawn and garden. We have trees which produce a lot of leaves in the fall. I've piled these and hope to add some other matter. Shredded paper, household compost materials(fruit and vegetable waist that will compost)to make a truly rich compost pile.
5. To grow more of what we eat. We have land for a garden. As large as we want really. Will keep you posted.
6. To speak out on and give time and resources to environmental causes. Will try to split time in this blog between money saving issues and environmental concerns.
It's not January first yet so this list will probably grow. Stay tuned and as always .. Happy Savings!!!!!

No comments: